Duty Concession on Reinforcement Steel/Steel Rebar
The Fiji Revenue and Customs Service (FRCS) wishes to advise importers, exporters, Carrier/Shipping Agents, Cargo Agents and the general public that due to the recent shortage in the market and to support the growing construction industry, the Fijian Government has endorsed a reduction in fiscal duty on the importation of reinforcement steel/ steel bar. The shortage is a result of the local manufacturer currently undertaking maintenance at their steel production plant.
The current duty structure for reinforcement steel/steel rebar is 32% or 50c per kg Fiscal Duty (whichever is greater), 0% Import Excise and 9% VAT. Following the reduction, the new duty structure will be 0% Fiscal Duty, 0% Import Excise and 9% VAT.
The following conditions apply:
- All import of reinforcement steel/steel rebar needs to comply with minimum applicable Fijian Standard, which is – FJS AS 4671: Steel Reinforcing Materials.
- Any steel / steel rebar that is not in compliance to above standard is strictly prohibited.
- Importers will need to provide a Compliance Certificate from an Accredited Laboratory confirming compliance to the required Fijian Standard.
- The Compliance Certificate must be produced for MITT and to FRCS at the time of clearance of the goods.
- This Concession is accessible by any company/business or individual.
- The Concession is effective from 31st August 2018 to 31st October 2018.
- To qualify for duty concession, the goods must arrive into the country on or after 31st August 2018 or must be shipped from or depart the country of origin on or before the 31st October 2018.
FRCS also advices that the businesses need to reflect the reduction in duty in the final prices to consumers. Any breach of the concession will result in hefty fines and penalties under Section 137 of the Customs Act. The pricing of steel will be closely monitored by FRCS.
All enquiries or clarifications in respect of the above requirements is to be directed to: (1) Mr. Jonetani Vuto – Deputy Director Revenue on email: email@example.com or mobile: 9922283 and/or (2) Mrs. Shelini Kumar – Chief Customs Officer – Tariff & Trade on email: firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile: 9732259.